How not to validate data

Trying to make an account on a Russian site, to order a book.

Need to enter name, email address, password.

I enter my name - in Latin.

“Enter your real name”.

I translate to Cyrillic, now we’re okay.

I guess they just don’t want all the extra business that comes from overseas. Damn all that extra profit!

I enter my email address - in Latin - this is fine.

I enter a password.

“Your password contains a link or email address.”

Actually, what it contains which they don’t like are spaces.

I remove the spaces, and get a green tick - password okay.

I hit submit.

“Your password is more than 20 characters.”

The only reason I’m even trying with these jokers is that this is an out of print book for a birthday present, which I already obtained once - but which is no longer available from that seller - and which the Royal Mail in the UK lost the instant I posted it with them; it didn’t even make it out of the post office.

Turns out when I first tried to submit, and was told the password was too long, they sent me a registration email - but with a blank password. When I tried again with a password shorter than 20 characters, they again sent me a registration email, with the pasword in the clear. At this point, I am bailing - I mean, I would make a burner credit card for them, with a balance in roubles equal to the bill, so I’m safe enough, but this is beyond the pale.

As an aside, yesterday, I was configuring the router in my friends place (where I am now) and I turned off WPS.

This made the 5 GHz network disappear.

Really disappear, not just no SSID.

No software works.

Software is the single most unreliable device that exists in the world, except for the Royal Mail.



Just finished a grand renaming.

Not happy with it really.

Have a better idea now.

One thing from this though - I did the work manually.

This does not work - it does not scale.

When you code base is large enough, you must have tools to make changes across the code-base.

So now I write a little script which will let me rename APIs.


Multi-segment position independent data structures

After a month of being a temporary full-time house-husband, I’m actually doing a bit of coding.

Writing up the first multi-segment position-independent data structure, just a freelist, simplest thing there is so I can go through the multi-segment stuff for the first time.

In the end there will be a single-segment and multi-segment position independent variation of every data structure.



Been implementing multi-segment position indepndence.

Originally, I was thinking for each data structure instance would have its own list of segment base addresses. I realised while implementing in fact the list of segments could often for a process be the same across all data structure instances - I’m thinking there will normally be only a few shared memory segments, and they will contain all shared data, which means all the data for many data structures and their elements. As such then the multi-segment code needed to be in a little API of its own, so the same instance of segment base address information can be used with all data structure instances.

Home Blog Forum Mailing Lists Documentation GitHub Contact

admin at liblfds dot org