Update

liblfds and test compile again, libcommon has been deleted. Will need to update all the build configuration of course. I’ve been building up a list of small things in the code which I need to fix/improve. Will get them all done before updating the build configurations on other platforms.

The build/usage/porting doc layout is now healthy – the layout makes obvious sense (I hope anyway!) to people coming to it for the first time.

Wrote the first pass of the btree docs.

Finish first pass of the usage guides for liblfds and test.

Todo;

1. ringbuffer docs (and possible API changes – not sure I like how it is now)
2. finish first pass of the building and porting guides for liblfds and test
3. implement the ‘small fixes’ list
4. update all the build config and have test pass on all platforms
5. second pass of all docs

and back round we go

So, I made libpal and moved the liblfds and test porting layers into it. The liblfds porting layer consists of header files only, so libpal does not need to be compiled for liblfds – but it does need to *be there* and that was *odd*.

It meant liblfds now dependend upon some header files elsewhere, so you had to make sure to copy not just the library other but this dependency.

This is not going to be expected.

I think in fact the problem was that I added libcommmon and libbenchmark. I like having them, they make it easier to code, but then I need to document well there’s test, and then there’s libcommon, and you need to build this and this for that and so on…

So what I’m going to do is make liblfds, test and benchmark independent (well, test and benchmark both require liblfds of course 🙂

They will have their own fully independent porting layers, and I’ve got rid of libcommon/libbenchmark. It will mean duplicating some abstraction and utility code between test and benchmark, but it’s worth it for the simplification of documentation.

thoughts

I’ve been looking at the porting documentation.

Right now it’s wrong, because it talks about porting *test*, but you don’t port test – test has no porting stuff in it. You need to port libcommon; it’s that which has the abstraction layer for test.

It’s called libcommon because although it’s not in this release, there’s also a benchmark programme, and there’s also a libbenchmark, which has another, fatter abstraction layer needed by the benchmark programme.

So it’s a complex mess.

What I’m thinking now is to remove the abstraction layer from liblfds, get rid of libcommon and libbenchmark and have libporting (porting abstraction layer). This will contain all of the abstraction layers – you implement as much as you need to get what you want working, i.e. there’s a minimal layer for liblfds, a bit more on top of that for test, then quite a bit more for benchmark.

libcommon and libbenchmark also contain quite a bit of utility code used by test and benchmark, but I can move that code into the programmes themselves – just to get it out of the way from the user.

Thing is, I really do NOT want to go off into major surgury land at this point. I want to get a release out.

Update

So far today;

1. hash docs first pass
2. first pass for both usage guides
3. introduction second pass

Next;

1. btree docs
2. building guides

Update

So, today;

1. list bifuricated (library and test)
2. first pass list docs written (for both lists)
3. first pass liblfds porting guide written
4. added liblfds to the API docs

Outstanding;

1. binary tree docs
2. hash docs
3. liblfds docs
4. ringbuffer docs
5. porting guide for test
6. complete the building guides
7. complete the user guides
8. bring all the build configurations up to date and run test on all platforms

List

I’ve just been documenting the list.

I’m finding I’m having to explain a lot about ordered vs unordered usage – I think I’m going to split the list into two, an ordered version and an unordered version.

Update

Man.

Docs take foooooooooooooooooooooooooorever.

I know this of course.

I’m just sayin’ 🙂

The code is basically complete – I need to update build files for all the platforms, and then run test on them all.

It’s all doc work now.

Update

Turned out to be a test bug.

Been writing docs. Getting the filled-in template pages up for each prototype. Done about half.

Inadvertantly detected race condition in ringbuffer read test

Release 7.0.0 features exponential backoff for atomic operations.

There was a bug in this code which meant the backoff loop instead of running up to 0/1/2/4/8/16/32/etc times, was running a very large number of times (billions).

This caused the ringbuffer read test to fault 🙂

I’ve added now a random delay in all the tests, which is present only in debug builds (i.e. slow builds) and I’m running it through now.