Nothing works

So…

Nothing woeks, and when you try to make it work, you experience a recursive descent into problems, until you give up and find a totally different way of doing things which does not depends upon the original problem.

Our inability as a species to make things work is pretty tragic.

So – I have a Revolut account. Fintech, mastercard, no fee currency exchanges at bank-to-bank rate.

I have transferred Swiss Francs into my account, but now I need to convert them to Euro.

My phone is rooted, because a non-rooted phone is impossible (Google et al making problems).

Where the phone is rooted, it’s not obvious how to update Android.

Where Android cannot be updated, Google Play Services is now too old for the Revolut app to run.

(There’s no Revolt web-site, which would solve the problem).

I wanted to use Anbox, to run Android apps on Linux.

To do this, I need snaps.

To get snaps, I need Debian 9 – I have 8.

Two days work, I upgrade – it worked (which really surprised me).

Turns out snaps work but Anbox still doesn’t work.

I may be able to make it work, but I Google a bit and found android-x86, which is an Intel port of Android which you can run in a VM.

I duly make and run Android in a VM on my laptop and go to install Revolut.

“Not compatible with your device.”

This of course is because their app most likely is only for ARM.

Anbox uses QEMU, so it’ll work.

We go round and around and around and around a-fucking-round, amen.

In Switzerland the main supermarket chain is called Migros.

World’s worse supermarket on-line shopping experience.

1. many items *in the shops* are *not on-line*

This is a real reversal from the normal situation =-)

2. To add more than one of an item to the cart, you must click once *for every one you want*. Want ten? click ten times 🙂

3. Looking at the cart? clicking on an item *removes it from the order*. Okay. This is NOT expected.

4. Want to change the quantity of an item in the cart? you can’t do it on the cart page. You have to visit EACH INDIVIDUAL PAGE and change the quantity by adding more items! one click per extra item – and I can see *no* way to *reduce* quantity.

IT’S

SO

AWFUL!!!

OMJESUSG.

=-)

Giving up with Migros online. Going to try Co-op.

Update

Just finished a grand renaming.

Not happy with it really.

Have a better idea now.

One thing from this though – I did the work manually.

This does not work – it does not scale.

When you code base is large enough, you must have tools to make changes across the code-base.

So now I write a little script which will let me rename APIs.

How not to validate data

Trying to make an account on a Russian site, to order a book.

Need to enter name, email address, password.

I enter my name – in Latin.

“Enter your real name”.

I translate to Cyrillic, now we’re okay.

I guess they just don’t want all the extra business that comes from overseas. Damn all that extra profit!

I enter my email address – in Latin – this is fine.

I enter a password.

“Your password contains a link or email address.”

Actually, what it contains which they don’t like are spaces.

I remove the spaces, and get a green tick – password okay.

I hit submit.

“Your password is more than 20 characters.”

The only reason I’m even trying with these jokers is that this is an out of print book for a birthday present, which I already obtained once – but which is no longer available from that seller – and which the Royal Mail in the UK lost the instant I posted it with them; it didn’t even make it out of the post office.

Turns out when I first tried to submit, and was told the password was too long, they sent me a registration email – but with a blank password. When I tried again with a password shorter than 20 characters, they again sent me a registration email, *with the pasword in the clear*. At this point, I am bailing – I mean, I would make a burner credit card for them, with a balance in roubles equal to the bill, so I’m safe enough, but this is beyond the pale.

As an aside, yesterday, I was configuring the router in my friends place (where I am now) and I turned off WPS.

This made the 5 GHz network disappear.

Really disappear, not just no SSID.

No software works.

Software is the single most unreliable device that exists in the world, except for the Royal Mail.